Thursday 21 November 2013

Life goes on

It's been a couple of months since my last blog, and to be honest everything has been rather humdrum. I guess the biggest thing in our lives at the moment is trying to sell the house. It's been on the market for a couple of years, but at a high price. We didn't have to sell, so I was quite happy just sitting and waiting. However, we decided about 12 months ago to really try to sell it, so dropped the price to the minimum we'll accept. Since then we have "sold" it three times, and each time it has fallen through. Bummer!

We had a slight leak from the immersion heater (it was slowly corroding) which came through onto the kitchen ceiling. Had a patch of ceiling replaced, which stands out like a sore thumb. So I have decided to paint the ceiling, which is he biggest thing I've done since diagnosis. Made a start today, and will carry on tomorrow. I can't tell you how good it feels to be doing something "normal".

On the cancer front, I am now on my 4th oncologist since diagnosis. The biggest metastasis has grown by 0.3mm, which I suppose is not too bad. I have also been told by this oncologist that, when the growth is more aggressive, I may be able to have another chemo treatment, which is absolutely contrary to what I was told by the previous two doctors. Surprising doesn't cover this! Overall I haven't been too bad physically, apart from one patch where I had real trouble with shortness of breath. Luckily, this only lasted a couple of days. I will be scanned, and see the oncologist again in February.

I have lost some friends over the past month or so, people in a FB lung cancer support group I belong to. Each one of these is a tragedy, but the loss of my beautiful friend Carm Hicks really affected me deeply. RIP Carm.

I try to "ignore" the cancer as much as possible, but it can't be done. Even on the best of days it is omnipresent. To say it takes over your life is an understatement; it dictates virtually everything you do (or don't do!). When I see the effect it has on my darling Tina, I am distraught. The toll this is taking on her is heavy, and she has been so brave in coping with it that I am humbled. This bastard thing takes no prisoners, especially among your loved ones.

So, Christmas is coming and I am in real trouble! You see, last year I thought that it might be my last one, and, because of this, I spent so much time carefully selecting presents for Tina. How do I follow that? Right at this moment I have absolutely no idea. Christmas is very much Tina's time. Last year was quite subdued, so we have decided to go all out this year, with all the decorations up, and to celebrate as much as we are able. I am really looking forward to celebrating another one with Tina.

Thanks again for reading this, and, in case I don't post again before Xmas, Merry Xmas to you and your families. I wish you all you would wish yourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment